Spring has finally sprung with its warm, itchy, leafy welcome.
It is a season of new beginnings and endings, especially for those who are leaving high school and preparing for college and for those leaving college and venturing out into the work force for the first time.
If you belong to one of these groups or know someone who belongs to one of these groups, this Cincinnati Bikram Yoga blog is for you. Why? Because as you transition, it may become more difficult to maintain your Bikram practice. But, do it you must. And, we can help.
Here are five ways to maintain a healthy Bikram Yoga practice during your transition.
- Keep your routines as close to normal as possible. Many of you have had a schedule all year, which included a set time dedicated to Bikram. Now you’re looking for a job or planning the next phase of your education career. The best thing you can do for yourself is set the intention to attend class no matter where you are. You may have to change from evening classes to early-morning classes, but the more you plan the better off you will be.
- Keep a yoga journal to remind you of your progress. You can track what poses give you the most difficulty, celebrate triumphs, note your moods before and after, or just use your journal as a benchmark.
- Find a Bikram buddy. Cincinnati Bikram Yoga can help you find a great studio near where you live if you’re leaving town and help you link up with a community of like-minded people. And we will welcome you back home each time you return. And if you are moving to the area find a friend to motivate you and join our community. Finally, if you are staying in town, get in here.
- Call your mother, and drink plenty of fluids. So, calling Mom part may or may not help you (unless she reminds you to go to Bikram), but keeping hydrated during the coming hot months is a key to having a great class once you’re here. This blog post from August offers some great tips for maintaining hydration, including explaining why coconut water ranks up there with traditional sports drinks.
- Finally, don’t let the stress of a new job or being a college freshman detract you for your health and wellness goals. This may sound similar to No. 1, but this is pretty important. As I wrote back in the fall, Bikram Yoga is really designed to promote whole body wellness. I confessed that I now use it as my sole fitness regimen. It might be the only time you get to dedicate 90 minutes totally to yourself, so why not rest in that reward?